Thursdays are always a doozey for me. I leave my house around 8:45am and typically don’t return until 8:00pm. Between Bible study, errands, appointments, picking up Jesse from school, worship team practice…yada, yada, yada, Thursdays are LONG! Today went quite smoothly…until I picked Jesse up from school. You see, Jesse is still adjusting to waking up at 6:30am and spending seven hours a day in school. By the the time I pick him up at 2:30pm, he’s tired, whiney, and hard to please. Today we went straight from picking Jesse up to a friend’s house who has been out of town for a month. This is when things started to slowly spiral downhill into something resembling a snowball from…you-know-where. Owen skipped his afternoon nap and Jesse was getting frustrated because he’s younger and less mature than Joshua and the other little boy. As a result of his lack of patience, he was getting left out of some of the activities. Owen was whining about being hungry and clearly exhausted, but by this time, there would be no point in taking him home and putting him in bed because we had to be at church within the hour. We hung in there until 5:40 and then we left to drive thru McDonald’s and head to church. Owen fell asleep in the car and stayed that way for about 30 minutes as we ate our greasy, chemically altered, faux chicken sandwiches. Practice began at 6:30 and I instructed the boys to play in the nursery nicely and practice would be over in about an hour. They niether played in the nursery NOR played nicely! Owen continued to whine and fuss and demand that I hold him, which he requests by saying, “MOMMY, KA’MERE!!” That is how he has always let me know he wants me to hold him. Well it’s pretty hard to hold a 35lb. two year old in one arm, a microphone in the other, and still hit the right notes! Jesse was frustrated that Joshua kept running away from him, and Joshua just wanted someone to play hide-and-seek, or tag, or whatever it was he was trying to do. All of this escalated into an all out civil war of disastrous proportions. At one point, I sent Jesse to sit down. He was very angry and tired and frustrated and I could hear him with my mommy ears. I leaned over to the girl standing next to me on stage and said, “I can hear Jesse screaming at the top of his lungs. You can’t hear him over the drums and the rest of the music, but if they stop playing, this is going to be VERY embarassing!” I had finally had it after about 45 minutes. I casually walked over to our worship leader, with Owen hanging off my hip and said (with a large plastic smile), “I think I should go so I can put the boys to bed.” I knew it was in the best interest of all parties involved to request a silent ride home…brush your teeth, use the bathroom, wash your hands, and GET IN BED! By this point, they were afraid…very afraid. hehehe 🙂

Bedtime went off without a hitch. I’m planning for a FANTASTIC FRIDAY!

His mercies are new every morning!